A Carolina Exclusive!
- Perform an LD50 experiment
- Simulate the effects of smog on plants
- Demonstrate the need for environmental regulation
Grades 9-12. Students explore the need for laws to protect our environment and standard of living. These inquiries emphasize the importance of the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts, as well as the concept of the Tragedy of the Commons, as students investigate each issue and its impact on the environment. They perform an LD50 (lethal dose, 50%) experiment of a water pollutant on a population of brine shrimp and investigate the effects of nitrogen dioxide on plants. Kit Refill
replenishes all perishable materials; price includes shipping and handling. Note: Order the kit refill with the perishable materials included or with a prepaid coupon to request the perishables later at your convenience. Contact us or return the coupon at least 2 weeks prior to requested delivery date to ensure prompt arrival of materials. Note: Order an extra kit refill for each additional class section. For example, to teach the kit in 3 environmental science sections on the same day, purchase 1 kit, 2 kit refills, and 2 multi class equipment sets.
Part of the Inquiries in Science® series.
This item is sold and shipped to schools and businesses only. Not available to individuals or residential addresses. For substitution suggestions, please call us at 800.334.5551 (8am to 8pm, ET, Monday-Friday).
This item is only available from Carolina Biological Supply Company.
Excepted Quantity - This product is/contains a DOT regulated hazardous material in an excepted quantity. This does not incur a hazardous materials fee. Orders shipping to HI and AK are subject to review and may incur additional shipping charges.
This item is sold and shipped to schools and businesses only. Not available to individuals or residential addresses. Visit our Login & Registration page to learn how to create a Login and link it to an approved school or business account.
Product Families Featuring This Item:
Inquiries in Science® Series Kits
Inquiries in Science® Series Kits
Inquiries in Science® is our exclusive series of hands-on kits specifically designed to help high school students understand abstract, hard-to-grasp science concepts. The series tracks well with most textbooks, and kit topics reflect state science standards and extensive educator input. Since Inquiries in Science® is modular, you can use the kits individually, as a strand, or as a series to teach biology, chemistry, and environmental science.
Improve Student Achievement
Field-tested in classrooms nationwide, Inquiries in Science® employs guided inquiry based on the 5E learning cycle of engage, explore, explain, extend, and evaluate. This inquiry-based approach also promotes STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) practices. It enables students to:
- Consider a real-world question or problem
- Plan and conduct an investigation and gather data
- Understand the science concept by analyzing data and communicating findings
- Apply their findings to the original real-world question or problem and master the science concept
Inquiries in Science® helps students build critical-thinking and problem-solving skills, and encourages creativity, collaboration, and teamwork. It creates an environment in which you and your students work together as active learners.
Disciplines and topics addressed by the kits were organized and selected based on data from numerous sources, including the National Research Council's National Science Education Standards, AAAS's Project 2061 Science Benchmarks, NAEP's Science Framework, and state science education standards from across the US. In addition, the Inquiries in Science® content and activities reflect the science practices and engineering practices, core ideas, and crosscutting concepts outlined by the National Research Council's A Framework for K–12 Science Education (2011) and the Next Generation Science Standards (2013).
Inquiries in Science® Components
- Kit—Includes lab supplies (enough for at least 30 students working in groups) plus teacher's manual.
- Kit Refill—Replenishes consumed materials
- Multi Class Equipment Set—Includes extra lab supplies so you can use the kit in 1 additional class section per day. Note: You'll also need to order an extra kit refill for each additional class section. For example, to teach the same Inquiries in Science® kit in 3 biology sections on the same day, purchase 1 kit, 2 kit refills, and 2 multi class equipment sets.
- Digital Teacher's Manual—FREE with kit purchase