Science Department Head
Geneva School of Boerne
Biology, AP® Biology, or Environmental Science
Four 45-minute class periods
- Study the impact of an invasive species on an ecosystem.
- Report on an invasive species, identifying its impact on a native species.
- Engage students by asking them to create a KWL chart about invasive species. Start with them listing what they know (K) about invasive species. Have them share (individually or in small groups) 1 or 2 items they listed.
- Ask them to list what they would like to know (W) about invasive species after they have shared what they know.
- Complete day 1 by showing a video clip on invasive species. YouTube offers a variety of clips—select one appropriate for your class.
- Explore different types of aquatic and terrestrial plant, insect, and animal species. Have students visit the USDA’s National Invasive Species Information Center. It offers a broad (but not complete) list of invasive species, providing a great place to get started.
- Ask students to select an invasive species to investigate further. Students will need to research:
- The distribution of invasive species
- How invasive species were introduced
- The impact the invasive species has on native species
- Any preventive measures taken to control the growth of invasive species
- Assign students to create a 1-page flyer on their selected invasive species. It should include the following:
- Picture(s) of the invasive species and its name
- A map showing its distribution
- How the invasive species was introduced
- Its current impact on native species
- Any preventive measures taken to control its growth
- Have students place citations on the back of the flyer (or on a separate piece of paper).
- Create small groups of 4 to 6 students and have them share their completed flyers with group members. You will need to set ground rules for this pair/share activity.
- Give each member of the group 2 minutes to present. The allotted time is for discussing the invasive species and fielding questions from other group members.
- Ask students to list what they learned (L) about invasive species in their KWL charts.
- Display flyers in the classroom so that students can see the variety of invasive species.
AP® is a trademark registered and/or owned by the College Board®, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.